It was a joyous occasion when the church was blessed and declared formally opened on 12th February 1961 by Archbishop Michael Olçomendy.
St Mary of the Angels began as a small nameless hilltop chapel for the friars. Adjoining the Franciscan Sociological Centre, it was dedicated by Archbishop Michael Olçomendy in 1958.
Following this, after many more fundraising efforts, the community rejoiced when Archbishop Michael Olçomendy blessed and declared open the Blessed Sacrament Church on 8th May 1965.
Father Thomas’ dream came true when Catholics from both chapels were brought together as one at The Church of St Francis of Assisi when it was officially blessed and opened on 11th Dec 1976.
The Church was named after the Holy Cross on which Jesus died, and the cross was also the theme around which the entire church was built.