Medals belonging to Archbishop Gregory Yong.
The medal from the Archdiocese of Sibu is in the design of a monstrance with a blue, white and red striped ribbon. The medal from the Elders Group hangs from a bar with the inscription MOST REV. GREGORY YONG.
Archbishop Yong was born in 1925 in Perak, Malaysia. He received his education in St. George’s Institution and St. Michael’s Institution in Ipoh, Malaya. His father Yong Ah Choy worked as a hospital assistant and was an active Catholic. Archbishop Yong entered the St Francis Xavier Minor Seminary in Singapore in January 1941 and went on to the major seminary at College General in Penang in 1944. He was ordained as a priest in December 1951.
His first parish posting was to the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Upper Serangoon Road in Singapore. In 1953, he furthered his studies at St Peter’s College in Rome, Italy, and was conferred a doctorate in Canon Law in 1956. He was the first priest from Malaya to obtain this qualification. When he returned to Singapore in August 1956, Archbishop Yong joined the Church of the Sacred Heart at Tank Road as an assistant parish priest. He subsequently joined the teaching staff at the St Francis Xavier Minor Seminary. In 1965, he served a brief stint at the Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary at Highland Road, but left a year later to take up a teaching position at the College General in Penang. On 1 July 1968, he was ordained the Bishop of Penang, taking over the role from Bishop Francis Chan, who had passed away in October 1967.
On 3 February 1977, Archbishop Gregory Yong was appointed to succeed Archbishop Michel Olçomendy as the first of the local clergy to lead the Church in Singapore. On 2 April 1977, he was officially installed as the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore. He was the second Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Singapore, which was formed in 1972 when the Archdiocese of Malacca-Singapore split and he held the office until retiring on 14 October 2000 when he was succeeded by Archbishop Nicholas Chia
Donated by St Francis Xavier Major Seminary.