St. Joseph’s Home

St. Joseph's HomeLocation: 36 Jurong West Street 24 Singapore 648141 St Joseph’s Home was first established in 1978 by the Catholic Welfare Services (CWS), with the aim of giving care to the poor and elderly. The Canossian Sisters have assisted the Catholic Welfare Services to run the home since its inception.  The Canossian Alumni Association organises annual visits to the ...

The FSC brothers learning Japanese during World War II

By Brother Patricius O'Donovan fsc "English was replaced by Nippon Go as the medium of education. After school, all teachers had to attend afternoon classes day after day to gain some proficiency in the language. What was learned in the afternoon was taught next morning in the classroom. [...] Once with our solemn Japanese instructor, our Kocho Sensei [Headmaster] Brother ...

Assisi Hospice

Assisi HospiceLocation: 820 Thomson Rd, 574623 To know the story of Assisi Hospice, we must take a step back into 1969, when the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM) Sisters moved by the needs of chronically ill patients, decided to further develop Mount Alvernia Hospital. A four-storey wing was added to provide a home for up to a hundred ...

Mount Alvernia Hospital

Mount Alvernia HospitalLocation: 820 Thomson Rd, 574623 Beginnings The story of Mount Alvernia Hospital began with the arrival of three Sisters from the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM) on 7 March 1949. They took over the tuberculosis wards at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, which eventually became known as Mandalay Road Hospital. “Mount Alvernia Hospital is a monument to ...

St Francis Xavier Major Seminary

St Francis Xavier Major SeminaryLocation:  199 Ponggol Seventeenth Ave, 829645 College General Penang The St Francis Xavier Seminary at 199 Seventeenth Avenue, Punggol Road, has come a long way since her humble beginnings in two other seminaries. Firstly it shared its history with its parent seminary in Penang, the Seminary of the Holy Angels (1810), commonly known as College General ...

Church of St Ignatius

It was a joyous occasion when the church was blessed and declared formally opened on 12th February 1961 by Archbishop Michael Olçomendy.

St Joseph’s Church (Bukit Timah)

Their presence prompted the French missionaries to send Father Anatole Mauduit to first build a small chapel in the Kranji area in 1846, and subsequently in Bukit Timah, when the plantation farmers he cared for moved there.

Church of St Stephen

It was finally with much excitement that the church was eventually completed on 22nd April 1978 when it was blessed and opened by Archbishop Gregory Yong.