Plans were drawn up and by 21st November 1971, the Church of St Vincent de Paul was blessed and opened by the Archbishop Michael Olçomendy.
Back then, St Anne’s Church was very much a ‘kampong church’ and considered as one of the biggest buildings in the vicinity.
Upon completion, the church was officially blessed on 13th December 1953 by Monsignor Lucas, Papal delegate for Malaysia-Singapore, and dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
On 8th December 1901, in front of a joyous crowd, Bishop Rene Fee blessed the new, beautiful and majestic edifice that was renamed the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In early 1957, Archbishop Olçomendy purchased a 5-acre plot of land in the Serangoon Garden Estate. Originally planned to house British military forces based in Singapore, the area housed around 15,000 people back in the 1950s.