The Paris Foreign Missions Society (MEP)

The arrival of the MEP Fathers is synonymous with the official establishment of the Church in Singapore. Although there had been Catholics before the arrival of the MEP, they were not known to be mission-oriented, and no priest lived on the island among the people. The missionary priests of the MEP spread Catholicism through Asia as far back as the ...

Verbum Dei Missionary Fraternity (FMVD)

The Verbum Dei Misionary Fraternity is made of three branches: female missionaries, male missionaries who are priests and brothers, and committed missionary couples. Their mission is to evangelise through the Word of God, conducting retreats, Christian formation and teaching people how to pray. Verbum Dei missionaries first arrived in Singapore in 1997—two Spanish Sisters Maria Jose M. Egido and Yolanda ...

Franciscan Missionaries of The Divine Motherhood (FMDM)

In March 1949, Sister Mary Angela McBrien, Sister Camillus Walsh and Sister Baptista Hennessy , known fondly as the “China Pioneers”, arrived in Singapore at the invitation of Bishop Olçomendy of Malacca to care for patients suffering from tuberculosis. The sisters took over the tuberculosis wards, later known as the Mandalay Road Hospital. “China Pioneers” Srs Camillus, Angela & Baptista, ...

Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM)

The first Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM) Sisters arrived in Singapore from Rome, on a ship called the Tabian, in 1953. They were headed by Mother M. Chrysanthe, who was to be the Regional Superior of the new province of “The Immaculate Heart” made up of Indonesia, Australia and Singapore-Malaya. While they looked for a suitable new home, the Infant ...

Brothers of Mercy of Mary Help of Christians (FMMA)

The presence of Brothers of Mercy was established in Malaya in the 1950s and 1960s. Archbishop Michael Olcomendy of Malacca and Singapore had expressed an interest and desire for a modern travelling hospital. This would greatly help the poor migrant population stretched across remote areas. The Brothers arrived and started mobile clinics in the early post-war period, visiting the sick ...

Canossian Daughters of Charity (FDCC)

By Frances Yong The four pioneer Canossian Sisters arrived in Singapore from Macau on 11th December 1894 accompanied by Mother Teresa Lucian (Superior of Macau) and Mother Maria Stella (Superior of Hong Kong).  Top L-R: Giustina Sequeira, Matilde Rodriguez, Marietta Porroni, Bottom L-R: Mother Teresa Lucian, Mother Maria Stella, Mother Teresa Rossi They were invited by the Bishop of Macau ...

Good Shepherd Sisters (RGS)

By Sr M. Gerard Fernandez, rgs The Good Shepherd Sisters arrived in Singapore on 12th December 1939. Mother Liguori Bourke and Sr Alphonsus Moody were the first pioneers. Sr Columba Cannon and Sr Dympna Brady arrived shortly after in January 1940. They were made welcome by the Infant Jesus Sisters who housed them at the Convent Victoria Street during the ...

Marist Brothers (FMS)

The Marist brothers have a special mission to provide a Christian education for children and young people, particularly those who are poor, abandoned or neglected.  This explains the letters 'FMS' after their name which stands for Fratres Maristae a Scholis or "Marist Brothers of the Schools". The Brothers in Singapore belong to the Singapore-Malaysia-Hong Kong-China Province. The first Brothers arrived in China in 1891 ...

Society of Jesus (SJ)

The original IHS abbreviation dates back to the 8th century. An adapted image with three nails under the insignia and a cross above it was adopted by St Ignatius of Loyola as the symbol of the Jesuits. The Jesuits live by the motto “Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam”, which means “for God’s Greater Glory. As such, there is no person, place ...

Brothers of the Christian Schools (FSC)

The famous curved wings of the old SJI building were added at the turn of the 20th century, designed by Father Charles-Benedict Nain who had studied architecture as a hobby. It was described as “one of the most beautiful buildings in the East at that time.” The Brothers of the Christian Schools were founded by St John Baptist de la ...