The Church in Post-War Singapore
(1945 – 1972)
Celebrate with the communities who grew, against the odds, large enough to build parishes, schoolhouses-orphanages and homes for the poor. Learn how various communities and leaders of the Church in Singapore faced the Japanese Occupation.
The Church in Post-War Singapore
1945 - 1972
Arrival of the Franciscan Missionaries of Divine Motherhood
"China Pioneers" Mother Angela and her Sisters from the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood arrived from China to take over the tuberculosis wards of Tan Tock Seng hospital. Their nursing care also extended to the Leprosy Settlement as well.
Marist Brothers arrive in Singapore
The Marist Brothers arrived in Singapore to supervise the educational programme of the Catholic High School. They went on to set up more schools for boys.
Catholic medical professional body set up
From Diocese to Archdiocese
The Diocese of Malacca which included Singapore, was raised to the status of an archdiocese. Bishop Olçomendy became the Archbishop of Malacca-Singapore.
Beginnings of Catholic Welfare Services
The inaugural meeting of Catholic Welfare Services took place on 20th April 1959. The President was Archbishop Michael Olcomendy, and his two vice-presidents, Monsignors Noel Goh and Hippoloyte Berthold. Dr Joseph Ee Peng Liang was the Chairman, Mr Cyril Chew and Brother Albert SG, were the honorary secretary and treasurer respectively.
Church of St Michael celebrates its first mass
The first mass was celebrated at St Michael’s on 1st October 1961, with Father John Lei as parish priest, in a two-story house purchased for the church. This was one of the first parishes in Singapore that was formed to serve a specific territory instead of a linguistic group.
Rose Villa opens
Rose Villa opened in response to the growing number of unmarried mothers who were approaching the Good Shepherd Sisters for shelter during their pregnancy.
Students do their part too!
Students from Catholic secondary schools were recruited in 1964 to join the Catholic Welfare Services' Workers' Corp to bring cheers to needy patients of the Kwong Wai Sui Free Hospital and to distribute ready-made food to them. The first group of members came from Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, St Anthony's Convent and St Joseph's Institution.
Jalan Kayu has a CWS Social and Welfare centre
Parliamentary Secretary of the Ministry of Social Affairs, Mr Chan Chee Seng officially declared the Catholic Welfare Services' Social and Welfare Centre in Jalan Kayu open. Its principal relief function was for the distribution of food to the needy in the Yio Chu Kang, Jalan Kayu and Seletar Base area. The centre closed on 31st March 1982.
Going mobile to rural Singapore
The Mobile Clinic, managed by the Canossian Sisters, began the provision of medical services in three rural areas with one visit a week. Visits started for Tuas Village and Jalan Kayu in 1967 and later for Changi in 1968. The Mobile Clinic was phased out at the end of 1979 when more Government outpatient clinics were opened.
Nazarene centre to reach out to the former Bukit Ho Swee Victims
The Bukit Ho Swee Community Service Project, better known as the Nazarene Centre, was initiated by the combined efforts of the priests of St Bernadette, an Anglican Pastor and the Sisters of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary. This was in response to a felt need to improve the living conditions of the residents in low-cost housing built for needy families affected by the Bukit Ho Swee fire.