Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

h

Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

24 Highland Road, Singapore 549115

Website: http://www.ihm.sg/

Upon completion, the church was officially blessed on 13th December 1953 by Monsignor Lucas, Papal delegate for Malaysia-Singapore, and dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

In 1941, the Catholic population in the district of Paya Lebar had increased which gave the Archdiocese an impetus to build a proper place of worship for the people. In those early days, Father Innocent Fernandez would celebrate mass on Sunday at the home of a Catholic family. This arrangement continued for a time but as the congregation began to increase, the mass venue was shifted to the St Joseph’s Convent School hall. After a year or so, Father Phillippe Messonier succeeded Father Fernandez in celebrating the Eucharist as the regular celebrant.

In 1942, a piece of land adjacent to St Joseph’s Convent was purchased to be the site for the new church. Eventually the foundation of the Church was laid on 1st February 1953. Upon completion, the church was officially blessed on 13th December 1953 by Monsignor Lucas, Papal delegate for Malaysia-Singapore, and dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM). Father Moses Koh became the first parish priest of the Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

By the 1970s, the early church’s parishioners had outgrown the size of the church. Although the planning and fundraising efforts to build a larger church were started, it was subsequently decided not to go ahead with the project.

Succeeding Father Loiseau in 1981 was Father Pierre Barthoulot. Between the times of Father Loiseau and Fr Barthoulot, wing extensions were added to the original church to cater for more space. However this was still insufficient to cater to the Catholic populations which had ballooned once the new towns of Serangoon Central, Hougang and Serangoon North estates were set up and populated.

Finally, under the stewardship of Father James Yeo, in 1999, a resolution for the building of a new church to meet the needs of the parish in the new Millennium was passed. By November 1999, construction works were started. On 1st May 2002, Archbishop Nicholas Chia officiated over the opening and blessing of the new church, which comprises of the main church, a columbarium, basement carpark, presbystery, parish centre, retreat centre and multipurpose hall.

With this new church and renewed vigour, IHM parishioners strive to be a truly participative and vibrant parish going forth with the full inspiration of the Holy Spirit and the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary to which the church is dedicated to, in spreading the Good News.

Reference

Golden Jubilee: Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary 1953-2003. (2003). Singapore: Church of Christ the King

Gallery

Click on the images to view the gallery.