When the Church of the Good Shepherd was built in 1847, its congregation moved from the small French Mission chapel on Bras Basah Road into the new church.
When the Church of the Good Shepherd was built in 1847, its congregation moved from the small French Mission chapel on Bras Basah Road into the new church. However, with the fast-growing needs of three different linguistic groups at the Good Shepherd, Father Pierre Paris who oversaw the Tamil and Chinese ethnic communities eventually decided it was better to move out. A new parish was constructed a stone’s throw away at Queen Street. As a ‘daughter parish’ of the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, the Church of Sts Peter and Paul was completed in 1870 and has long been associated with the growth and history of Catholics in Singapore.
On top of having two of the leading apostles in the Catholic Church as their patron saints, the parish enjoyed the financial support of wealthy Chinese Catholics such as Pedro Tan Neo Keah, who sponsored the construction of the church and also promoted its cause. By the 1880s, the original building was already too small for its growing congregation. Between 1891 and 1892, the parish was expanded to include three marble altars, a transept and sacristy. A few years later, other prominent Catholics such as Jacobe Low Gek Seng and Joseph Chan Teck Hee sponsored extensions to the choir loft, porch and façade. A further expansion between 1910 and 1911 saw the decoration of the entrance porch and choir loft. Chan, together with Low Gek Seng, were responsible for the entire cost of the 1910-1911 renovations.
In the years following, Sts Peters and Paul has continued to undergo development work and renovation. In the year of its centenary, the church took on large-scale renovations to build a new parish building, a columbarium and an adoration chapel.
Click on the images to view the gallery.