Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

h

Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

31 Siglap Hill, Singapore 456085

Website: http://www.olps.sg/

The OLPS Church was blessed and declared open for worship on 7th October 1961 by Archbishop of Malacca-Singapore, Archbishop Michael Olçomendy.

Ten years after the Church of the Holy Family was built, the number of Catholics in the East Coast area had grown so large that in 1955, Fr Rene Ashness, Holy Family Church’s parish priest started to ponder about how to go about having another church that would cater to the growing number of Catholics in the East.

However it was not until 1958 that Father Paul Munier, succeeding parish priest of Holy Family, himself undertook the task of initiating the fundraising process. Members of the Church Building Committee were appointed and went from house to house to seek donations for the church that would be dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour (OLPS).

The architecture of the original church was designed by Alfred Wong Partnership where the centrepiece above the altar was the stained glass of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, with the original bell tower built behind the stained glass.

The OLPS Church was blessed and declared open for worship on 7th October 1961 by Archbishop of Malacca-Singapore, Archbishop Michael Olçomendy.

When it first started out, as part of the understanding with the Siglap and Frankel community, the church would allow estate residences free passage through the church grounds to get to the main road. Gates of the “Siglap Church” as it was also known, would be left opened at all hours of the day to facilitate getting across to Changi Road.

With the Paris Foreign Missionaries (MEP) House located just behind the Rectory, there is also a connection between the grounds of the two properties. Many MEP priests were also posted to OLPS to faithfully serve its parishioners, such as Father Michael Arro who was with OLPS for 24 long years!

In 1978, the Church embarked on the first Parish Mission by the Redemptorists that reached out to many housed in the new towns of Bedok, Chai Chee as well as Opera Estate. Soon after, neighbourhood groups were formed to welcome new Catholics into the neighbourhood, to organise home masses and to pray for the dead.

The 1980s was a vibrant era with the growth of several ministries like the Charismatic Renewal under Father Francois Dufay and Father Michael Arro. It was the decade that saw the Church introducing bass, rhythm and lead guitars as well as percussions as accompaniment instruments for choirs. It was also during the late 1980s when the very first grotto in the Archdiocese was built in OLPS before other churches also followed suit.

Going into the 1990s, OLPS experienced a tremendous increase in the parish population to some 8,500 worshippers, but also a growing number of children in need of catechism and kindergarten education. There was thus an urgent and pressing need for more classrooms as well as amenities to cater to the pastoral needs of the parishioners as well as residents in the East Coast district. This led to major renovations of the church from 1996 to 1999 including the building of a new church annex building, the renovation of the main church building and a reconstruction of a new presbytery. The renovations were completed and Archbishop Gregory Yong officially blessed the new premises on 22nd January 2000. The fully air-conditioned church with a seating capacity of 1,600 now includes an adoration room and a columbarium for 2,500 niches to serve one of the most populated Catholic Church in Singapore.

Gallery

Click on the images to view the gallery.